Parenting Podcast Episode 21: Sleep Training Tips with Carianna from All the Sleeps
This week we welcome a very special guest – Carianna with All the Sleeps. She is a pediatric sleep consultant helping families get all the sleeps.
If you prefer to read instead of listen, check out my blog post on the subject here: https://growingourfamily.com/sleep-training-tips/
1. What is a sleep consultant and what is their role. What led you to want to do this and what’s the process to become one?
2. What is “safe sleep” and how can this help prevent SIDS?
3. When can you start modifying this? (eg: sleeping on stomach, adding blankets, etc).
4. Is a bedtime routine actually helpful, and what do you suggest this should involve? https://allthesleeps.com/bedtimeroutine/
5. What are the steps in sleep training?
6. Difference between gradual, intermediate, and CIO methods. https://allthesleeps.com/sleep-coaching-methods/
a) Do you recommend different methods for different aged babies or it is based solely on the attitude of both baby and parents?
7. Can CIO be dangerous or have lasting effects?
Australian Sleep Study: “Five-Year Follow-up of Harms and Benefits of Behavioral Infant Sleep Intervention: Randomized Trial” by Anna M.H. Price, Melissa Wake, Obioha C. Ukoumunne and Harriet Hiscock. Pediatrics September 2012: https://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/early/2012/09/04/peds.2011-3467?sso=1&sso_redirect_count=1&nfstatus=401&nftoken=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000&nfstatusdescription=ERROR%3a+No+local+token
8. When is it safe to start sleep training/ what cues to look for to tell if they are developmentally ready?
9. Sleep Regressions – do you have to start over again or do they retain the ability to self soothe once they’ve passed that phase? https://allthesleeps.com/sleep-regressions/
10. Top 5 baby sleep myths https://allthesleeps.com/5-baby-sleep-myths/
American Academy of Pediatrics “Reducing Sudden Infant Death with ‘Back to Sleep’”: aap.org/en-us/advocacy-and-policy/aap-health-initiatives/7-great-achievements/Pages/Reducing-Sudden-Infant-Death-with-Back-to-.aspx
Intro Song courtesy of:
I dunno by grapes (c) copyright 2008 Licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution (3.0) license. http://dig.ccmixter.org/files/grapes/16626 Ft: J Lang, Morusque