Pregnancy Podcast – Episode 61: Preparing Dog for New Baby with Michelle Stern from Pooch Parenting
For the full show notes, visit: https://growingourfamily.com/s01e61/
Follow me on Instagram: Instagram.com/growingrfamily
And Like us on Facebook: facebook.com/growingrfamily
This week we have Michelle Stern from Pooch Parenting on the show to talk about preparing your dog for your new baby. All dog trainers love dogs. But not all dog trainers love the human half. Luckily for you, She’s not just a certified dog behavior consultant and trainer, she was a teacher for 16 years AND a mom.
Michelle’s qualifications are almost endless, but just to name a few – she is:
- CPDT-KA (certified professional dog trainer, knowledge assessed) and certified dog behavior consultant
- Partner with The Family Dog, offering private in-home training lessons for your whole family, kids included
- Member in good standing with IAABC (International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants) and APDT (Association of Professional Dog Trainers)
- American Kennel Club Canine Good Citizen Evaluator (#98309)
- Proud to offer force free, evidence-based, compassionate training, both with you and your dog
Tune in to the episode to learn more!
HAVE YOU JOINED OUR FACEBOOK GROUP YET??
“Growing Our Family Podcast -> A Community For Moms”: https://www.facebook.com/groups/434759000779665/?ref=share
Where to find the podcast:
1. What are some of the steps you should take during pregnancy to help prepare your dog for the new baby?
2. What are some of the skills your dog should have before baby arrives?
-Sit when asked (in all situations)
-Lay on a mat
-Practice separation from your dog inside the house
-Safe sleep for your dog and baby
3. A lot of expecting parents want to shower their dog with more attention in the months leading up to delivery, but some sources say to get them used to your new schedule so they don’t associate the decrease in play time with the baby.
4. How do you handle that first interaction between pup and baby?
5. What if your pup has other behavior traits like jealousy or over-protectiveness?
6. What if you follow these tips, but your dog still seems off or nervous around the baby?
Michelle’s Recommended Mommy Item:
Toddleroo Baby/Dog Play Pen and Gate: https://amzn.to/2ZeKciS
Where to find Michelle:
Help your dog prepare for baby’s arrival Blog post: https://poochparenting.net/help-your-dog-prepare-for-new-babys-arrival/
Online Classes such as Preparing dog for new baby and Parenting toddlers and Dogs: https://poochparenting.net/product-category/online-classes/
Intro Song courtesy of:
I dunno by grapes (c) copyright 2008 Licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution (3.0) license. http://dig.ccmixter.org/files/grapes/16626 Ft: J Lang, Morusque