Parenting Podcast – Episode 61: Baby Sign Language with Mary Smith from Sign ‘n Grow
For the full show notes, visit: https://growingourfamily.com/s02e61/
Follow me on Instagram: Instagram.com/growingrfamily
And Like us on Facebook: facebook.com/growingrfamily
Mary Smith is the founder and instructor of Sign ‘n Grow Baby Sign Language, which is a baby sign language program that has online classes. Mary has a degree in Deaf Studies and has been an American Sign Language Interpreter for 10 years. She’s a first-time mom with a 2-year-old daughter. Mary used baby sign language to teach her daughter how to communicate before she was old enough to talk. Mary started Sign ‘n Grow to teach other parents about how to use baby sign language effectively to accelerate language development and bond with their kids through early communication. She’s here now to tell us more about Baby Sign Language, how it’s beneficial, and to give us some tips on how to use it.
HAVE YOU JOINED OUR FACEBOOK GROUP YET??
“Growing Our Family Podcast -> A Community For Moms”: https://www.facebook.com/groups/434759000779665/?ref=share
Where to find the podcast:
- Apple Podcasts
- Or any other major podcasting platform!
1. What is baby sign language and what is the benefit to teaching it to your baby?
2. When can you start signing with baby?
3. How long will it take for them to sign back?
4. How much time do you typically need to spend working on baby signs?
Can you still attempt baby sign language if the daycare isn’t supportive of it?
(aka evenings and weekends only)
5. What are some of the common first signs that parents should learn & teach?
6. Do you use the same signs as ASL?
7. What are some common struggles that might come up with baby signing and how should you approach them?
8. What are some of the common concerns parents have with baby sign language?
Mary’s Recommended Mommy Item:
Mayo Clinic Guide to Your Baby’s First Years: https://amzn.to/2OFqmXJ
Where’s Spot? Baby Board Book: https://amzn.to/30tMCcS
Where to Find Mary from Sign ‘n Grow:
Sign ‘n Grow Classes: https://www.signngrow.com/classes
Coupon Code: “GROWING” for 10% off! (Expires on September 30th, 2020)
Intro Song courtesy of:
I dunno by grapes (c) copyright 2008 Licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution (3.0) license. http://dig.ccmixter.org/files/grapes/16626 Ft: J Lang, Morusque